Wednesday, October 8, 2008

HELP!!

Hello Family! So this entry is kind of a plea for help! I was contemplating doing study abroad and I decided I should figure out my class schedule for the next few years so I would know when the best time to go would be. Well, as I planned out each semester the realization that I won’t graduate for another 3 ½ years kinda started to bum me out!
Okay so here is my question! With my schedule I have a completely open semester next fall. I would just move up all my classes, but the class schedules won’t allow that. So, I am now contemplating what to do with that open semester. I could put maybe 2 required classes in there and the rest would be extra/fun classes. OH and I decided I would rather spend $8,000 on something other than study abroad. So now; do I make the other semesters a little lighter and put them into that semester and take a few elective classes that I haven’t had an opportunity to take, or Do I just take that semester off and work (up in Logan of course)!! So, if you have any suggestions I would love some more opinions to help me make a decision.

9 comments:

Betsy Lee said...

I'm a little confused on some details. Why is it open? Does that mean none of your required classes are offered in the fall? If that's the case here's what I would do. If I didn't NEED to take any more credits then I had planned to and had that semester free I would choose to work and save up money. That's just if taking electives is just for fun and not going towards my major. But if there was any way to take needed classes that semester that's what I would do.

But, hey, a semester abroad sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity that I would have a hard time passing up! I actually was planning on spending a semester in France until I met Richard. I had kids instead. ;)

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Work and save up your money...you're going to need it.

DeAnna said...

I found that having a few electives that were really fun made every semester much easier. If it were me I would take a good balance of classes each semester and make sure to have a few light/fun classes mixed in to keep you from getting burned out. Plus if you keep your schedule light, you have more time for a good social life or a part time job if you need it.

JK Lee said...

I don't have any experience to back me up with but if I were in your shoes I would take advantage of the chance to put some extra money in my pocket. Study abroad is something that would be really fun for sure but sometimes we have to look and things a with a little more of a down to earth mind set. I would work my butt off to make the next semester easier. Financial stress is a killer. And who knows. You might meet some cute guy with your free nights that don't have any homework.

Tink said...

I think from all the different perspectives you have been given a lot of sound advice. I don't know if I have any better than what you've already been given. But, here goes, keep yourself balanced. Don't play too much and don't work too much. Look ahead at what you want in the future and pray to be inspired.

Alishia said...

Thank you everyone for the advice! I am still deciding on what to do! I will let you know what I decide.

Loraine said...

Well, you already know what I think, but you have been given some good ideas. Good luck. Be smart.

Becky said...

:)

Becky said...

This is Jon... I agree with Deanna! I would get as much done AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It sucks, in my eyes, knowing that I could have finished my undergrad 2.5 years EARLIER if I had just stuck to my original plan and got it over with. And here is where I agree with Deanna, if the above is not possible I would take what I could when I could and if I had some free time I would take fun classes (I took snow ski classes in the spring and soccer classes in the fall :-)) Hope that helps